> If you manage to find the info for compiling that'd be great. I'd like to be
> able to compile the latest versions as they are released.  If it's a big
> hassle to get it running on OS X I might just carry on using the jabber.org
> server for my test apps.

(Sorry if this post is out of sync; I get the digested version)

You only need to get the ldcompat package from the fink project
(fink.sourceforge.net). Only this package is necessary, not all
the others.
Install the ldcompat package, then you just follow the usual
configure/make. No patches are necessary for 1.4.2
Uses it myself on a PB G4 to test my application; very handy!

/Mats