If you set your presence priority to a negative value the server isn't
supposed to send that resource any messages that were sent to your bare
jid ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).  So you could login with your message-less client and
you shouldn't get any messages.  I know it's in the XMPP spec, but I'm
not sure if it's in JabberD 1.4.2.

JD