Richard Dobson wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ulrich B. Staudinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: [JDEV] Re: jabber; what would you like to see?

Richard Dobson wrote:

What I picture is that one could have a scripting languague within the
packets, for example:

<iq type="get">
<query xmlns="bla bla">
<script>
@users=fetchroster(1,2,3);
for ($i=0; $i<[EMAIL PROTECTED]) {
 echo "<message [EMAIL PROTECTED]> In my new roster bla bla ";
}
createrostergroup(@users, "newrostergroup");
return @users;
</script>
</query>
</iq>

Sorry but to me anyone doing something like this should be shot, having
scripting send inside packets to be processed by the endpoint like this

is a

security hole of an enormous magnetude, and we definately should not be
doing anything like this. This is kind of like word macros, it can have

some

benefits but the potential for abuse is massive, it would require all

sorts

of extra security stuff to even attempt to secure it. Overall I think the
downsides are far more than the benefit of the convenience, the best

thing

is to continue doing what we have been doing and creating protocols for

set

purposes. We don't need the flexibility of a scripting system as we

already

have the flexibility/extensibility of XML and the jabber protocol to do
things like this without creating massive security holes.

Maybe not shot - only dipped into cold coffee for more than an hour ...
+1 - absolutely not supportable from my side.

Yea sorry, "... should be shot" is a common saying over here in the UK meaning that something someone has done is very bad/silly, its a tongue in cheek thing.

i guess i should get familiar with all those sayings ... tongue in cheek? now what's this, where should i put my tongue? :-)

np

ulrich

Richard

Ulrich B. Staudinger