I apologize in advance as I'm going to mention commercial entities in
this email.  ;)  I work for Winfessor, so I'm probably biased.

If you want to develop your own, you could always use our .NET SDK
(http://www.winfessor.com/sdk).  We have a DHTML web client sample
application (demo at: http://www.winfessor.com/chat) that utilizes our
framework in ASP.NET and could be turned into your own custom live
support app.

Another commercial entity, Jive Software, is going to release their full
blown live assistant product soon.  It looks really nice:
http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/liveassistant/

As always, there are probably a hundred other options.

JD Conley
Principle Software Engineer
www.winfessor.com