<quote by='Peter Saint-Andre' at='Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:26:16AM -0600'>

> > oh, if only there was a full client features/jep compatability list out
> > there, eh st. peter? *wink wink nudge nudge* :)
>
> Yeah yeah yeah, I need to work on that. :P

</quote>

Holy cow, that would be a *lot* of metadata!  It wouldn't work as a table unless the
table had over 100 columns. :-)

What are you thinking for this sort of listing, an XML structure with some sort of
variant on the <features> element?

I'm guessing it would need to support...
  * Version specification.  You could say that a client supports version 0.2 of a JEP
but
    perhaps not 1.0.  Would you put in the ability to specify a lower and upper
version bound
    here?
  * Optional parts of standards.  You could say that a client supports XMPP 1.0
    but not TLS.
  * Portions of standards.  Some client might implement 50% of MUC but have no use for
the
    rest.  I guess you could do this with the "optional parts" I just mentioned but
you would
    make the optional parts fairly fine grained in some cases I'm sure.

As well as of course...
  * Client version;
  * Platform/OS;
  * other obvious metadata... name of client, authors, etc.

But the nastiest thing is every time a JEP gets updated, every client in the list
needs to
be tested against it to see if it still works.  Then you could update the Version
fields to
reflect any changes.  But the workload is the bitch... if it could be automated, no
problem.
How many clients are out there these days? :-)

Anyway good luck.  It would be a damn fine feature.  You could then make a search
engine where
you say exactly what you're looking for, and it returns the closest matches.

TX

--
'Every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic' - Arthur C
Clarke

             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/trejkaz/
         Jabber ID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   GPG Fingerprint: 26CF 8621 223F 3916 8872  65C5 9A27 F3C0 130F C71A