The http://docs.jabber.org/general/html/component-intro.html has a
reference to <route> on the last section.
"<route> allows for controlling a users session with JSM (Jabber Session
Manager).  This is a complex topic I'll save for the next revision."

Document has a 2000 date on it.

Is there more information on this available?

Looking at implimenting a session routing component for a jabber server.
Customers check in and are routed to the next available rep.

I have code that I can use as a plugin for a client connected to a jabber
server, looking at putting that code on the server as a component.

The teaser reference to <route> has piqued my interest.