On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:00 am, "Tijl Houtbeckers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:07:51 +1000, James Bunton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > Oh yeah, I wanted to ask. Has anybody got any good ideas for a better
> > way to
> > do Jabber<->MSN groupchat? The MSN protocol makes no separation between
> > groupchats and ordinary chats, and extra people can be invited into a
> > room at
> > any time. So the only way I can think of handling it is..
>
> You could drop groupchat and use SHIM (JEP-0131) to indicate there are
> multiple recipients to a message. That would require clients to implement
> parts of SHIM though, and to be smart about it when they write a reply to
> a message or start their own mini-conferences. (they should add their own
> SHIM headers, particulary when they do the inviting themselves).

That actually sounds quite good. But it's still in experimental, so there
isn't going to be any client support for quite a while. Also how would that
work for when the user has, for example
Contact A
Contact B
Contact C
Contact D
User has a one-to-one chat with contact A
User has a conference with all four
User has another conference running with Contact A and B

I think it would probably require to much MSN specific code in the clients to
support that.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

---

James