On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:48, Nolan Eakins wrote:
> Does email have good documentation? If you're online, you know what email
> is. Why? Because any ISP will give you at least one email address to use,
> and then name off a couple of email programs to use and how to set them up.
> If an ISP gave you a Jabber account to use, presumably it'll be the same as
> your email. So JIDs and what is a Jabber server wouldn't need to be
> documented for the end user.
>
> So why aren't ISPs giving out Jabber accounts yet? That's gotta do with the
> state of our code-bases. An ISP isn't going to setup a buggy, incomplete,
> and hard to manage server. They need the equivalent of an Apache, something
> they do setup and use.

Hang on there, cowboy.  If you started off talking about email, why don't you
use an email server as your example here?  Are you trying to dodge something?

I guess that the best example of an email server in massive use would be
Sendmail.  Sendmail's simplicity of configuration is an absolute joy, and it
makes me wish I had to run a mail server, just so that I could have the
pleasure of getting to configure it.

*coughs*

In Sendmail's defence, I suppose there are tons and tons of books on the
subject, which simply isn't the case for Jabberd.  However, how much longer
has Sendmail had to accumulate these books?  Did it have this many books in
its opening years?

TX

--
'Every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic' -
Arthur C Clarke

             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/trejkaz/
         Jabber ID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]