On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 02:30:45PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering the usage of SRV records instead of classic A/CNAME for
> my Jabber server. How supported is it in clients and servers ?

Practically all servers do SRV lookups for server-to-server connections.
But most of them use obsolete _jabber._tcp records instead of
the new _xmpp-server._tcp. So to be safe you will need both.

For the server domain I have both _jabber._tcp and _xmpp-server._tcp
records, but for the services on the server available to external
entities I have provided only the new _xmpp-server._tcp records to
encourage people to update their servers. I know that at least one big
server configuration was updated because of that :-)

Most clients don't support SRV records for server lookup yet.
However, most of them (maybe all) may be configured to use any server,
so users of those clients would have to enter server name and/or port,
not only the JID.

Greets,
        Jacek