dialback.

Obviously the attacker would get the public certificate of the server
they're connecting to.  I don't see how having that information is a
chance to take over a host.

If an attacker attempts to connect and provides a certificate that is
not on record for the host they are claiming to be, a dialback is
performed against the authority of the host.  The attacker, unless they
have control of DNS or the other host's network, is then rejected as the
dialback authority would produce a certificate that is not the same as
the attacker's.

> Having a trusted body like the JSF, that acts as a registry/CA might
be
> a solution and I am looking forward to see Peter's proposal ... the
> remaining problem might be to verify if someone is allowed to apply
for
> a certificate.

At this point, I'd rather use dialback on the public internet and let
administrators choose which CA's they want to trust.  Most of the time
CA's are going to be intranet or extranet CA's.  Some may choose to
trust the "default" trusted set so a VeriSign cert would work, for
example.  But in the end, with dialback in place, you don't need CA
based certificates unless you're setting up a very specific trust
network.  This is much more user friendly and fairly secure (at least as
much as you can trust someone on the internet with no real liability to
properly manage a CA).

JD