At Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 05:58:27PM -0500, Daniel Henninger wrote:
> So what I propose is thinking through a stanza to indicate "how do I use
> you?".  I haven't looked in details at anything yet, but the idea might be
> something like:
> <message to="aim.jabber.vorpalcloud.org"
> from="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"><usage /></message>
>
> If the target doesn't understand usage, it should simply ignore the empty
> message sent to itself.

If I had to do it using a new protocol, I would prefer to see this using <iq/>
instead of message, as it really is a request/response operation.  Hence if the
component doesn't understand it, it would simply treat it like any other
unsupported operation and return the appropriate error.

But actually, if I had to do this right now, I would use JEP-0050 (Ad-hoc
Commands.)

It provides a means for sending an arbitrary query and getting an arbitrary
response, and the response could well just be a single <note type='info'/>
containing the entire usage description.

Another thing to think about which might turn my suggestion upside-down is
whether you would ever want XHTML formatting inside such responses.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/