Volcane wrote:
> or we could give them the benefit of the doubt, see what else they
> announce over the next few days - like they said they would - and then
> cry foul and shoot them down once we know actual facts?

I would be quiet even if they don't. Standalone XMPP servers aren't
evil, they are just a shame...
However at Google they declared their open mindedness about server
federation, they just want to do this in the right way. I think that the
Jabber community shuold take this as an opportunity for finding and
adding to the servers anything that will prevent email problems.

At present the only check is made by serves, which verify the the
identify of their clients, but nothing prevents you from running a rogue
server that sands spim. AFAIK, since now this problem has been
negletable, but with google as large and open jabber provider, I forsee
the born of many of those servers if nothing changes.

--
Fabio Forno, PhD
Istituto Superiore Mario Boella