Quoting Alexey Nezhdanov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
There is a feature I would really like to see in jabber, it's a "clock
system" to specify to which message you reply to. This system has been
used succesfully for years in tribune like
http://linuxfr.org/board/ (you need to register to post, but you can
see how it work without posting)
or http://l.leguyader.free.fr/board/ (this one is mine, no need to
register to use, but don't use it to much, it's a little one)

I have looked for both sites but didn't understand how it wors. Why you need
two timestamps?

The first timestamp is the time of the message itself. The second timestamp is
the time of the message which is being responded to.  This way you get a kind
of threading.

FWIW, it would be better to use message IDs than timestamps.  Those demos
highlight the problem reasonably well: when you have multiple messages at the
same time and someone replies to one message, you can't tell which message they replied to. Switch to message IDs, and come up with some extension element, and
this would work *in theory*.

In practice, most users wouldn't bother marking which message they're replying
to, so it would all fall down in a giant heap.

TX