Travis Shirk wrote:

    JEP-0085: "Chat State Notifications"[1] states that <inactive/> should
    be sent when:

    User does not interact with the chat interface for an intermediate
    period of time (e.g., 30 seconds), minimizes the chat interface, or
    starts interacting with another chat interface or application.

    The phrase "starts interacting with another chat interface or
    application" simply restates (only with more ambiguity) "User does not
    interact with the chat interface for an intermediate period of time
    (e.g., 30 seconds)".

Ambiguity is bad. Well, at least in protocol specifications. :-)

    Is there anyone out there that supports sending <inactive/> every time a
    window loses focus? (/me is cocked and ready :)), and if not, can we get
    an update to the JEP that stresses that this is not the intention.

The trigger descriptions in JEP-0085 are intended to provide guidelines, not hard and fast rules. That said, now that you've pointed it out I agree that the guidelines regarding <inactive/> are ambiguous. What matters most here is whether the user *has* interacted with the chat interface over the last x seconds. It is probably unwarranted to assume that the user *will not* interact with the chat interface over the next x seconds simply because he or she has minimized the chat interface or switched focus to another chat interface or application. (However, assuming that the user is gone because he or she has terminated the interface may be more warranted.) This kind of "predictive notification" could lead to many false alarms so I think we need to discourage it by tightening up the trigger language for <inactive/> (and possibly also <gone/>).

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation