On Sunday 20 November 2005 10:04, Ulrich Staudinger wrote:
> Fundamentally spoken, i think the message itself doesn't get old from A
> to B (it travels at almost lightspeed). And once arrived the message
> will be delivered immediately and instantaneously to it's target,
> contrary to Mail; Mail is stored in a mailbox by default. Presence is an
> interesting scenario, too. Of course the presence informations would be
> delayed by 5 minutes for my little venus express, but i could see if my
> service inside that planet probe is online or not ... I think XMPP is
> really interesting for it's XML nature. If only the tags weren't so
> long, these produce a massive overhead.

I'm not sure that tag lengths are really a problem.  They increase the
bandwidth, but what we're talking about with long distances is usually a
problem with insufficient latency, rather than bandwidth.

Looking at jabber.org, each user takes up on average about 100 bits per
second.  I'm not sure how much you could really save by merely shortening the
tag names (keeping in mind that many of them are already as short as they
could get: <q> in particular.)

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/