On 12/31/05, Matthias Wimmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> HI Vinod!
>
> Vinod Panicker schrieb:
>
> >The RFC states that SASL must be done after TLS.  Though its not
> >expressly forbidden, I doubt that TLS+dialback was ever intended in
> >the first place, since Dialback was written much before there was the
> >question of TLS.
> >

> ... but you cannot tell me that TLS+dialback is worse than just
> unencrypted dialback. Therefore I think it has been a good idea to use
> the starttls extension on dialback as well.

If there is a consensus on this, then it should get a specific mention
in the new RFC.  Better to remove assumptions altogether.

> >Regarding the issue of SASL EXTERNAL and support for subjectAltNames,
> >I dont think it is currently possible to have a valid certificate with
> >subjectAltName extensions since none of the CA's are supporting it.
> >

> Right. That's why as a fallback all server implementations I know check
> the CN if there is no subjectAltName extension.

But CN check fails when I'm running a xmpp service for a domain (eg.
example.com), but using a different dns name (eg. im.example.com),
since the cert will have the CN as im.example.com

> >I think there should be something done for enabling federation between
> >servers using DIGEST-MD5 or even PLAIN.  Otherwise, this looks like a
> >no-go.  Servers will keep relying on dialback.
> >

> Using DIGEST-MD5 or PLAIN for interconnection between servers would mean
> that EVERY PAIR of jabber servers would have to agree on a shared
> secret. That's very much impractical.

True, thats why I believe that something should be done to facilitate
it.  Otherwise, how about having TLS+SASL ANONYMOUS for s2s then?

Regards,
Vinod.