In order to implement Simplified Personal Publish Subscribe (a.k.a. SPPS) [1], external components like Idavoll [2] will need to have information about user rosters (since the "presence" access model depends on knowledge of presence subscription states and the "roster" access model depends on knowledge of roster groups). After talking about this with Pedro Melo, I realized that this could be problematic, because right now there is no easy way for external components to retrieve the roster information.

Sure, an external component could fake out an XMPP server by retrieving the user's roster with a from address of the user's JID. But even then it wouldn't get updates to the roster unless it also sent presence from the user's JID. However, you don't want the external component to look as if it is online and receive messages for the user, so you'd have to send negative presence priorities. But not all servers support negative priorities, so any such hack could not be generalized.

So I wonder: how might external component developers handle this?

Really this question is for Ralph Meijer, but others might have opinions, which is why I'm posting it to the list. :-)

The long-term answer is to build SPPS into the core server level, but that's not likely to happen very soon.

Peter

[1] http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0163.html
[2] http://idavoll.jabberstudio.org/