On Tuesday 07 March 2006 12:05, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > Canditates for storing the JID are: userID id-on-xmppAddr
>
> RFC 3920 is clear on this. I would say that userID is not a candidate
> (although RFC 3920 does not prohibit that, since it says only that the
> JID MUST be stored as an otherName in the subjectAltName, IMHO it is not
> a good idea to store the same information in two places).

Currently, everyone puts the domain of a server in the commonName.  And this
is also consistent with RFC 3920's recommendation of using the HTTP methods
to verify if a certificate in a c2s/s2s connection is valid.  Thus, it should
be quite acceptable to put the value in three fields: commonName, dNSName,
and xmppAddr otherName.

We should probably not put nodes into the commonName and dNSName fields.
These fields should only be used if your JID is domain-only.  However, it is
not clear if this is forbidden (maybe something to note in 3920bis?).

As I think about this some more, it seems to me that in a Jabberized world,
the only field we'd care about is xmppAddr.  dNSName and commonName are
really only there for compatibility with existing CAs and restrictive TLS
implementations.

As I think about this even /more/, I wonder if we should allow fallback of
JIDs with nodes into the rfc822Name field.  This may help with
similarly-restrictive S/MIME implementations, as well as CAs.  I agree that
putting the same information in two places is not a great idea, but there
seems to be a standard practice of already doing it with domains, so I think
it is worth considering for jid->email.

> > Any other ideas? BTW: What means "id-on-" in id-on-xmppAddr? Why nt
> > just "xmppAddr"?
>
> It's ASN.1 madness, don't ask.

And just shorthand for documentation purposes.  The string is basically like a
namespace, and the prefix helps give an idea of what it is for, which I think
is Identity-OtherName (just a guess).  This namespace string doesn't appear
in the Certificate anywhere, only the OID does, so there's no reason to get
too hung up about it.

-Justin