On Sun Apr 30 14:16:57 2006, Bruce Campbell wrote:
Both of these documents also refer to DNS-SRV (rfc2781), which states that if the target of the sole (successful) SRV answer is the root domain ('.'), then 'abort'.

You mean RFC2782, which states that 'A Target of "." means that the service is decidedly not available at the domain.' - later, in the description of how to use SRV records, it merely says 'abort'.

This means your interpretation must be correct - sort of. The server could lookup records in _simple.example.com, for instance, if it were capable of gatewaying to SIMPLE, but no server to server XMPP service is available.

Definitely it's wrong to resolve example.com and try randomly connecting to it - not only wrong, but arguably illegal, since you've been explicitly told there is no such service at the domain.

Dave.
--
          You see things; and you say "Why?"
   - George Bernard Shaw