Op dinsdag 12 september 2006 18:22, schreef John Almberg:
<snip>
>  As far as requirements for the server are concerned, what I'm mainly
> concerned about is stability and scalability, as this application must
> potentially support lots of simultaneous users. The actual number will
> depend on the market, so we need to be able to start small and grow
> arbitrarily large. I'm a bit worried about that requirement, to be honest.

You might want to take a look at ejabberd:
http://www.process-one.net/en/projects/ejabberd/docs/features.pdf

ejabberd is written in Erlang, as this unknown language might scare your
manager, I've here a list of useful Erlang-related links:
* A very recent deployment at the metro of Lyon, France (quote: "The customer
was /very/ surprised with this new software that 'never crashed once'.":
http://forum.trapexit.org/viewtopic.php?t=6229
* From the same poster, how he convinced his boss:
http://forum.trapexit.org/viewtopic.php?t=6253

* Why Erlang Is a Great Language for Concurrent Programming:
http://yarivsblog.com/articles/2006/08/16/why-erlang-is-a-great-language-for-concurrent-programming
* Next article explains the future importancy of concurrency in software:
http://www.gotw.ca/publications/concurrency-ddj.htm
* "A functional program is ready for concurrency without any further
modifications." (Erlang is a functional language):
http://www.defmacro.org/ramblings/fp.html
* Erlang Style Concurrency:
http://www.defmacro.org/ramblings/concurrency.html
* Erlang Hot Code Swapping -> Hacking Nirvana:
http://yarivsblog.com/articles/2006/06/22/erlang-hot-code-swapping-hacking-nirvana
* The must-read Phd thesis of Joe Amstrong:
http://www.sics.se/~joe/thesis/armstrong_thesis_2003.pdf
* Ericsson's Biggest PR Blunder: Forgetting to Tell Us That Erlang Programming
Is FUN:
http://yarivsblog.com/articles/2006/08/24/ericssons-biggest-pr-blunder-forgetting-to-tell-us-that-erlang-programming-is-fun

This blog entry also might interest you if you would consider to deploy a
large ejabberd installation with less memory:
http://www.planeta.toliman.pl/?p=101

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.
xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

ejabberd, the expandable Jabber daemon. --
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/