Well, we chose to solve this problem with a SOAP Web Service that maintains state for mobile users and provides an abstracted object model to the XMPP session. The web service will keep your session to the server active and queue your contact list changes until you request them. The same goes for messages. This also lets you have a lighter stack that is quite likely already on the device (HTTP/SOAP).

If you’re interested shoot me an email off list and I’ll get you setup with the latest build.

-JD

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Saurabh Aggarwal
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 3:59 AM
To: jdev@jabber.org
Subject: [jdev] Suspending and resuming presence

During an active session, is there a way to suspend/resume presence? I am interested in letting the jabber server know that I am currently not interested in receiving presence information - so don't send me information when my buddies status changes. This is for a wireless device, and if I have the app in the background, I don't want to waste battery/keep the datachannel active.

Thanks,
Saurabh

Search from any Web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live Toolbar Today! Try it now!