On 10/5/06, Norman Rasmussen wrote:
> On 10/5/06, Mark Doliner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Wouldn't that remove the item from my roster completely?  I just
want to
> get rid of the nickname that's associated with the item.  Some Jabber
> clients refer to this as an "alias."
>
> woops, I missed that one.  I guess this is partially an implementation
> decision:
>  - If name is missing, does the server ignore it, or remove the
nickname?
>  - If a blank name is sent, should the server store a blank name, or
> remove the name value from the roster

Yes, it does seem to be implementation dependant.  With jabberd2 the
"name" attribute can be cleared by sending an <iq type='set'> for the
roster item and not including the name attribute.

But this does not seem to work with the GTalk Jabber server.  For that
server the "name" can only be cleared by sending an <iq type='set'> for
the roster item and setting name=''.  However, setting name='' on
jabberd2 results in the name being set to the empty string.

With ejabberd the name can be cleared using either method.

-Mark