Kevin Smith wrote:
For what it's worth, I very much want to get some ack system into widespread use. For some people, with reliable server software, hardware, network infrastructure and clients, XMPP seems to be reliable already but it's really just good fortune. Once one of these starts becoming a problem, reliability goes out of the window. Since the networking team at the site my primary account is hosted have been having problems over the last couple of weeks, I've lost count of the number of people I've sent messages to only for them to never be received (and for me to not know this until I speak to the person out-of-band). As such, I'm really suffering from the current lack of reliable delivery. Per-hop acks would guarantee end-to-end delivery and would strengthen xmpp considerably. Details, such as a new TLE, or <iq> are worth discussing, but this is the moment for finally making xmpp reliable.

if you want a ACKs for messages then the old message events XEP-0022 work pretty well.

We talking here about lots of different ACKs. I think we should first define which kind of ACKs we want. And i don't think we can address all the different ACKs dicussed here with one extension.

Alex