I didn't know SCTP since you've mentioned it and have some questions:
  1. Is SCTP TCP compatible? When a server provides SCTP protocol on port 5222 for example normal TCP clients can still connect?
  2. Could both protocols run on one port?
TIA
Tobias

On 11/3/06, Michal 'vorner' Vaner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 10:50:37AM -0800, Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Friday 03 November 2006 8:29 am, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > Norman Rasmussen wrote:
> > > It might make sense in rfc3920bis to make a small note that SCTP can
> > > be used as a 'drop in' replacement for TCP as long as both hosts
> > > supports it.
> >
> > Will do. I still think it's not a great idea for us to be solving things
> > at the XMPP layer that belong at the TCP/SCTP layer...
>
> It's bad enough that not all environments allow monitoring of TCP acks.  I
> don't think SCTP is any better of a recommendation.  If we want something
> universal, we have only plain TCP and UDP, really.  Of course, SCTP can be
> layered over UDP, but that's a hefty requirement.
>
> Keep in mind that we have HTTP Binding, to assist platforms with very
> restricted environments.  It's okay to be a purist, when it is reasonable,
> but sometimes it is better to make exceptions like this.
>
> In my opinion, XMPP over SCTP over UDP is too much to ask for, when just an
> element or two in XMPP over TCP will solve our problems.

However, I would like to see XMPP over SCTP. Simply because it's ability
of multihoming (I may have written about it, I take laptop, start WiFi,
unplug ethernet and want to be still connected).

Besides, I think SCTP without UDP would be better anyway.

Have a nice day

--

This message has optimized support for formating.
Please choose green font and black background so it looks like it should.

Michal "vorner" Vaner