Le mercredi 15 novembre 2006 03:01, Daniel Henninger a écrit :
> Today I was having a discussion with another developer about one of
> the 'standards' that's been in place for a little while and it got me
> waffling back and forth as to whether it's a "good" standard or not.
> I'll get right to the point:
>
> MSN username: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Jabber MSN translated JID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> So where did this use of % come from?  It seems to work out well, and
> has been used in many places, but I don't see it in any XEPs or
> anything like that (nothing formal).

This is an implementation detail. Every gateway is free to translate the name
as it want.

If you want to know the jid of a contact based on the legacy address, you
should use the jabber:iq:gateway protocol as explained there:
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0100.html#addressing

Anyway, I don't know how to do the opposite (eg: get the addresse from the
jid)

--
Olivier (aka Gof)

PS: i know this doesn't reply to the question : "where do the % come from"