On Dec 6, at 9:53 AM, Donald Hoffman wroge:
> On Dec 6, 2007, at 1:01 AM, Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> > On Śr, 2007-12-05 at 19:31 -0800, Donald Hoffman wrote:
> >> I wanted to experiment with writing an XMPP external component for a
> >> project I am working on.     I noticed some references to the Jabber
> >> Component Runtime and was thinking of starting with that.
> >
> > JCR is not a tool to write own components.
> > It's a tool to run jabberd14 components standalone.
> > (It's basically stripped-down jabberd14 server.)
> >
> > I cannot recommend a component writing framework though...
>
> I had thought that JCR was used to turn a jabberd14 "internal"
> component in to an "external" one.  (E.g, per XEP-114).  In that sense
> it is not a stripped down server, since it still needs a jabber server
> somewhere to run (not necessarily on the same machine).   Was I wrong
> about that?

Er, you're both correct.  The JCR is a small library which was written to allow
jabberd14 components to run as a XEP-0114 component.  It contains lots of
utility functions taken from old versions of the jabberd14 server (jid_user,
jid_full, a hash table, memory pooling, string spools, etc), as well as the low
level connection code used to connect to a XEP-0114 compatible Jabber server.

I don't know if the JCR is maintained as a standalone library anymore, but it
is used by MU-Conference, and the JCR code is still fairly independent of the
rest of the MU-Conference code.  MU-Conference can be downloaded from
http://gna.org/projects/mu-conference/ (I'd check it out from SVN, to make sure
you have the latest code).

And you'll probably want to compare it to the other projects mentioned (iksemel
and gloox) to determine which works best for you.

-Mark