Yann Leboulanger wrote:
Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
Yann Leboulanger wrote:
Is it a good idea for a client to xmpp-ping server every X seconds to test if it's still available, in order to detect server shutdown, connection cut ... ?

Not really. It's pretty verbose. We generally prefer to send whitespace over the TCP connection. We usually call that "whitespace ping".

Peter

That won't inform us if connection is brocken or server is down as those whitespace ping don't receive a pong ...

Right. I have no deep objections to using XEP-0199 -- we defined it to solve these problems! -- but you might want to be smart about how often you send a ping. Some feedback would be helpful about how often people think they need to send pings.

Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/