Dave Cridland wrote:
...  there's no need to send
XEP-0199 every minute - instead, use it when you suspect the link is down. This might be because of long term inactivity, and/or because you're sending (real) traffic and getting no response. (Obviously <iq/> stanzas emit a response, but normally people answer <message/> stanzas too.).

Right. IMHO it's a bad practice to send a ping every 60 seconds when you have plenty of incoming traffic (I watch the XML Console in Psi and I can tell you that my session is never idle for 1 second, let alone 60!). You're just adding noise to the signal at that point.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/