In the light of the ongoing (as far as I can see) debate about what to do about
Digest MD5 etc. has anyone considered the SRP (Secure Remote Password)
protocol? It is similar to Diffie-Hellman but is man-in-the-middle resistant
and provides true zero-knowledge proof.

It has RFC status (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2945) and is used for SSH and
such goodness. The Wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_remote_password_protocol provides some
information about it, but is more technical and harder to understand than the
RFC doc. The was some speak about it as a SASL mechanism, but I don't know what
happened to that: maybe someone can push the IETF where it hurts so that the
status of the protocol can be determined (I have recently found that tracking
down SASL mechanism docs is an art).

Just my 2c.

-- Jonathan