> Wether or not you're against or with the walled gardens,

It doesn't even matter whether or not you're for or against walled
gardens. Being against people who *interface* these walled gardens
into open source / open protocols, *that's* a very strange attitude.
That's what Nick tried to say, and his examples make that point very
clear (imagine a world without them). Maybe now, I could live without
transports, but I would certainly never have switched to Jabber if
nobody wrote those.

But anyway, no use in wasting time discussing this post. We're
discussing more interesting things in this thread ;-)

cheers,
Remko