Just to back-track a bit... I agree that making non-conformant standards (like
Google did) isn't the best for client support: in some cases it pushes things
that are otherwise required.

Look at the X-GOOGLE-TOKEN it was a feature that wasn't covered by the
standards. Even though it was unnofficial it has a very big client coverage
now. Let me quote from
<http://dystopics.dump.be/2006/02/04/the-mysteries-of-x-google-token-and-why-it-matters/>

"Hold on, Google Talk/XMPP isn't just a SSO service, it's one that _EVERYONE_
can easily implement on their site, without the need for licensing fees and
all! All your clients need is a free Gmail account."

As you can see X-GOOGLE-TOKEN really does provide a lot of value to the
community.

The XSF doesn't always have time to handle 1 million requests for new
standards. Having someone implement them before-hand really takes a bit off the
XSF's table and allows them to see that the standard really would work.

For example, I want to implement an entire remoting framework on XMPP (not
RPC/RMI, but true remote living objects): instead of wasting the XSFs time with
a plea for a standard I can implement it and proceed to demonstrate it at some
point and hopefully get some feedback.

This raises an interesting point. Given that the XSF doesn't always have time
to document a standard, what do we do? I think the best way would be to:

1. FIRST check if any XEP supports exactly what you want.
2. Document your protocol outlining clearly the requirements.
3. Check if a combination or appropriation of any XEPs can facilitate this (my
one will probably use ad-hoc commands).
4. Proceed to implement your application (which should be seen as far as
possible as a prototype).
5. Approach the XSF and say, "here are my requirements, here is what I thought
would be an appropriate protocol, and here is a working prototype".

But that is just my opinion. I think one thing that is important is that not
final product should be pushed until a go-ahead is received from the XSF (which
Google did not do): as I do see it as critical in making sure that a protocol
is properly defined, peer reviewed and widely accepted (as well a being
unique). Any comments?