Good question.

You will find that the Coversant XMPP communicator does not send a <presence
type="unavailable"/> stanza when it logs out. From what I can tell is that most
servers will do that on behalf of the client: it caused me a few minutes of
debugging :).

If you want to tell when the client disconnects unexpectedly from another
client (e.g. if you have a contact that represents your server availability or
something) you could do something like:

<presence type="available">
  <!-- NB: No 'graceful' element -->
</presence>

<presence type="unavailable">
  <graceful xmlns="http://www.tempuri.org/xmpp.org/graceful";>
</presence>

If you receive a stanza without the graceful element you can be sure that the
client quit unexpectedly (server sent 'unavailable' on behalf of the client).

This raises another important question: most servers AND clients are not XMPP
compliant. It is very strange and annoying. Should I take a 'tough luck, you
should behave properly' approach to non-compliant clients and servers?