I think we are all chasing things around in circles here.

o This is all supported by
XEP-0033<http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0033.html>
o No servers support it
o No clients support it

Jehan to clarify your code (according to XEP-0033):

------------------------------
  <message
  to='[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
  from='[EMAIL PROTECTED]/hotAirBaloon'
  type='chat'
  xml:lang='en'>

   <addresses xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/address'>
       <address type='cc' jid='[EMAIL PROTECTED]/orchard' desc='Romeo'/>
       <address type='cc' jid='[EMAIL PROTECTED]/balcony' desc='Juliet'/>
   </addresses>

  <thread>e0ffe42b28561960c6b12b944a092794b9683a38</thread>
  </message>
------------------------------

PSA and JH made a really good job of that spec for one reason in particular:
multicast.example.org is a component; no need to alter any client/server code
and you could make this yourself today with any XMPP component library.

Do we need to define another standard? No. Do we, the developers, have to sit
down and look at our code tonight? Yes.

Toby, today there is no support on the clients/servers (and possible
components). It is something the XMPP community needs to look at, and I
definitely will, but I don't know when you can expect wide-spread results. Your
best bet would be to:

1. Wait for a server/component team to implement this feature and upgrade
2. Wait for a client team to implement this feature and recommend it to your
clients

The cocinnella chaps seem pretty good at making fast changes: maybe something
for them to look at? They already have the whiteboard which has a private
conference-loving implemenation - maybe someone could have a look at that code
(sorry, not much use at C++ myself)?