> My client, however, knows that I have asked it not to disturb me, so
> therefore it supresses its normal cacophony of bleeps, and merely
> displays Kev's claptrap in an unobtrusive manner, to await my return
> to the computer.

Or in short: if you don't want to be disturbed, your client needs to
make sure you don't get disturbed, which is what my client does. When
I go in DND mode, I just don't want messages to be popping up, and I
want my contacts to know that I will probably not answer. I don't mind
them sending me messages, on the contrary. And if I really didn't want
any messages from anyone, I would have gone offline with a status
message "Doing something very important").

cheers,
Remko

PS: I don't think message loops are a problem. Any normal client
auto-responds only once. Clients that don't are broken (versus clients
that only reply once are merely crippled). If 2 broken clients talk to
each other, then they can loop for all I care.