FYI. Maybe the dream of a Python Jabber server will finally come true...

/psa

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:15:05 +0200
From: Ralph Meijer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Twisted-Jabber] XMPP Router implementation

Hi all,

As mentioned in the discussion on building out the XMPP support in
Twisted, and specifically building a Twisted Jabber server
implementation, we decided that the first step would be to create an
XMPP router. The progress of this work can be found in Twisted ticket #3407.

Since the discussion was kicked off by Duncan, I've worked on pulling
together the bits I'd already written in a branch for Wokkel. The result
is a functioning XMPP Router as a twistd plugin. The supporting code
also allows for adding component services within the same process, to
create one-process servers.

The code is currently in a set of mercurial queues patches, that I
maintain locally. The idea is that all that work will be spread over a
number of tickets to be reviewed in isolation (making it easier to
review), but I haven't had time to split that work up, yet. So, for now,
I uploaded a large patch bomb to ticket #3407, along with a test script.

The latter depends on Wokkel for some of its functionality, but shows
the general idea. The stuff that the script depends on, that is now in
wokkel, is intented to be moved to Twisted also, as part of
to-be-created tickets.

The reason for sending this mail is so that people can already look at
how the stuff works and start discussions on it early on. You can start
the router twistd plugin using:

   twistd xmpp-router

Play with it, and be sure to leave comments here or on the ticket.

[1] http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3407