On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Martijn van Beers <mart...@eekeek.org>wrote:

> Hi, I thought I'd implement quickly implement compression since you so
> graciously offered a host to test against, but after succesfully
> negotiating TLS and receiving the new stream features, when I try to
> negotiate compression, I don't get anything back after I send <compress
> xmlns="http://jabber.org/features/compress

I get this (on port 5222 and 5269):

s2c: <?xml version='1.0'?><stream:stream xmlns:stream='
http://etherx.jabber.org/streams' xmlns='jabber:{client,server}' from='
darkskies.za.net' version='1.0' id='stream_id'><stream:features
xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'><starttls
xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-tls'/><compression xmlns='
http://jabber.org/features/compress'><method>zlib</method></compression><auth
xmlns='http://jabber.org/features/iq-auth'/></stream:features>

c2s: <compress xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/compress

s2c: <compressed xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/compress'/>

and then the compressed data starts

> XEP 170 *does* say you should do sasl before compression, but shouldn't
> there be at least an error message and/or disconnect if you try to do it
> without sasl?

correct, jabberd2 doesn't support sasl yet, and I couldn't figure out how to
do it after dialback.  I think part of the problem is that there's currently
no re-announcement of features after dialback, so I couldn't figure out how
to plumb it in.  Also having to do dialback to debug is a pain - I can't
figure out which order what stuff goes where, also jabberd2 tries to
initiate the connection in the opposite direction in anticipation of a
returning stanza.

--
- Norman Rasmussen
- Email: nor...@rasmussen.co.za