On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Ajay Kapur <ajay.ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way through jabberd or any of the other servers to have a
> given client automatically subscribe to presence updates from all new
> users when they register?  You can assume that this client will always
> be connected/online and that it is a bot that we have complete control
> over.
>
> I'm sure there's a way to build this by adding some server code, but
> I'm wondering if this can be done through standard use of an existing
> feature (or perhaps non-standard use of an existing feature).

Although I haven't played with it too much, what you need should be
achievable through a feature of many servers, usually called "shared
roster".

Possibly this will not be flexible enough to configure just the
addition of a single contact though. jabberd2 allows you to specify
the default roster for new users I believe. Alternatively a hacky way
would be to subscribe the bot to the messages that many servers
generate on new account registrations, and then it could automatically
send a subscription request.

Just a few ideas, hope something helps.
Matthew.