From: Nathan Fritz <nathanfr...@gmail.com>
To: Jabber/XMPP software development list <jdev@jabber.org>
Sent: Thu, February 11, 2010 3:15:46 AM
Subject: Re: [jdev] Facebook now supports XMPP connections

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Christopher Orr <ch...@orr.me.uk> wrote:

>It seems that Facebook have just opened up their XMPP server for Facebook Chat.
>
>http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/Integrating_with_Facebook_Chat
>
>>The server is at chat.facebook.com:5222 (sans SRV records) and the only
>>stream features advertised are DIGEST-MD5 or "X-FACEBOOK-PLATFORM"
>>authentication.  There's no TLS, no compression, and possibly no access to
>>people who don't have a Facebook username (i.e. those who only have a user
>>ID).
>
>>The basics are supposedly all there: rosters, presence, plain text messaging,
>>vCards.  I could only get a 503 error so far when trying to authenticate, so
>>can't comment any further..
>
>>Chris

It reminds me very much of the early days of GTalk.  There were lots of things
that just didn't work -- like sending IQs between clients other than namespaces
that the server knew about.  I'm sure we'll start to see things shape up over
time.  Works great for me [shortna...@chat.facebook.com FTW.

I'm not going to hold my breath for federation, but who knows?   Would be cool,
but would totally break their friend/chat paradigm.

-Fritzy