On Wed Mar 31 10:50:55 2010, Aaron Kryptokos wrote:
On 2009-11-14, I sent a message to this list about about how to resolve confusion in clients between node name and SASL username, which are not necessarily the same at our site. This is a flaw with XMPP client implementations, not the specification, but its a flaw that most XMPP client implementations seem to have. And in the intervening time, this has been a continuing source of problems in our environment.

Isn't it told the jid during resource binding? For example, from my session:

<!-- Out -->
<iq type="set" id="2708">
<bind xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-bind">
<resource>Gajim</resource>
</bind>
</iq>

<!-- In -->
<iq to='d...@dave.cridland.net/Gajim' type='result' id='2708'>
<bind xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-bind'>
<jid>d...@dave.cridland.net/Gajim</jid>
</bind>
</iq>

This is the first exchange where the jid is used.

Can clients be changed to set this as their jid?

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/