This is an odd idea that I'm mulling over as part of the creation of a user interface (email and IM) within a limited connectivity-but-controlled environment. Essentially, creating connections is expensive, and both IMAP and XMPP user credentials are the same. Think BOSH within a pre-existing IMAP stream.

So far I've got a set of draft notes which amount to creating a new IMAP capability 'XMPP', a group of client subcommands to control XMPP connection/disconnection/multiple identities/sending stanzas, and the facility for the server to send arbitary stanzas via untagged responses, along with various protocol handwaving to keep things nice and neat.

Any thoughts on the concept and suggestions as to whether to raise this as a XEP here or within the appropriate IETF group (Lemonade I believe) ?

--
  Bruce.