On 29 May 2012 18:46, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im> wrote:
> On 5/29/12 11:39 AM, Kevin Smith wrote:
>> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Theo Cushion <t...@jivatechnology.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Dan,
>>>
>>> This is something we are interested in doing as well. Our use case is that
>>> people could be involved in multiple discussions, but only actually want to
>>> join a room if something interesting is going on (for example, missed
>>> messages or a user joining the room). The Pubsub mechanism would provide a
>>> great choice for this as it means the node can be configured so that the
>>> client does not have to request any of this information, or join a room in
>>> order to receive updates.
>>
>> The most elegant way of doing this would be to have a pubsub service
>> running on the MUC JID, just as PEP is a pubsub service running on a
>> user's JID.
>
> Right, we've traditionally called this "MEP" (MUC Eventing Protocol) but
> we've never defined the feature more fully than giving it a name.

I did some experiments around this some time back:
http://blog.prosody.im/multi-user-chat-gets-rich/

However there are various approaches to tackling the problem, and I
gather that many people don't think mine was the best. We had a group
discussion on alternatives in Brussels in 2011, but again the
conclusion was that all approaches had drawbacks, some being
incredibly complicated - and so no consensus was reached.

Regards,
matthew