Op 19 dec. 2012, om 11:02 heeft Mathieu Pasquet <mathi...@mathieui.net> het
volgende geschreven:

> On 19/12/2012 08:14, David E. Ammouial wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm currently switching from Gajim to Empathy (trying it out becomes I'm
>> discovering GNOME 3), and as a user I'd like to express a wish to client
>> developers: IMHO, clients should store the chat history at the same place.
>>
>> Gajim, for instance, has taken interesting steps since its beginning.
>> Before, everything was stored under $HOME/.gajim and now there's
>> .local/share/gajim, .config/gajim and .cache/gajim. Such sweetness is a
>> global naming policy change that modern software tend to respect, so
>> that there's more consistency (e.g. all local storage goes to .local).
>>
>> So here, my proposal is to go one step further: I guess .local/share is
>> called "share" because it's supposed to host shared resources, not one
>> subdirectory per program. Chat history is a good example: a
>> .local/share/xmpplogs/ directory would make total sense.
>>
>> Of course, the exact format would need to be thoughtfully defined, but
>> does the goal itself sound reasonable?
>>
>> (I'm well aware of the efforts to store history on server side, but I
>> think local history will still be around for a while.)
>>
>> Regards.
> I’m not sure about having the same location for every clients (conflicts,
> concurrent access, and all the fun of shared resources), but a common format
> in order to allow easy migrations (copy + paste of the log files) would
> indeed be nice. It would also mean that we could have an external,
> standardized tool to view the logs.
>
> As it was mentionned, XEP-0136 introduces a standard for querying and
> retrieving message logs, but in order to create a new XEP to specify the file
> format of the client logs, we would need to extend its scope. Most clients
> nowadays store lots of things in their logs (namely, presences) which are not
> mentionned in the XEP (or did I misread?) ; this is especially true for nick
> changes in a groupchat.
>
> Another issue with a standardized file format is that the chosen file format
> depends of the goal of the client. E.g gajim, if I’m not mistaken, stores its
> logs in a sqlite database, which allows them to have a nice graphical tool
> dedicated to query the logs in various ways, and stay efficient. But other
> clients (like poezio, or mcabber) have opted for a plain text and file-based
> file format, because it keeps the logs human-readable, and less prone to
> corruption (and we can still kinda-query it with grep).
>
> (for reference, you were talking about the freedesktop basedir spec:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html )
>
> --
> Mathieu Pasquet (mathieui)

Previous Adium developers set up this proposal[1] for an "official chat log
spec".
However, I'm not aware of any other client ever showing interest in also
supporting it.

It has, in my own opinion, a number of drawbacks (for example, some information
is
only stored in the file paths!), but I want to mention it as a good candidate
for a starting
point for a common format.

Considering the existing differences in clients and the large amounts of logs
already
existing, it might be a too ambitious goal to have all clients use the same
format, but
export/import functionality for one common format would already be a good step.

Regards
Thijs Alkemade

[1] = http://trac.adium.im/wiki/XMLLogFormat