Hi people,

The web service API world seems to be all about HTTP, but I'm hoping to show
that XMPP can be useful here too. For Fanout.io, I've made it so that the
entire functionality is available via HTTP *and* XMPP. This means that for
every REST endpoint there is an equivalent XMPP ad-hoc command. Additionally,
there is a chat bot that you can interact with using an IM client, which
supports much of the functionality as well.

One nice aspect is that auth is a breeze. You whitelist a JID and you're done.
No futzing with per-call auth tokens like with the REST API.

This has actually been in place some months. Can't remember if I mentioned it
at the summit. But I finally wrote about it now:
  http://blog.fanout.io/2013/01/12/using-the-api-via-xmpp/

Is anyone else doing this sort of thing?

Justin