Hi Matthew! :-)

On 7/12/13 5:34 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:
> On 12 July 2013 22:06, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im>
> wrote:
>> Really it's a crime that we don't have ubiquitous s2s and e2e
>> encryption by now
>
> As you may know, we thought very seriously about making the
> default behaviour for the next release of Prosody to require
> trusted and valid certificates on all s2s connections. Ultimately
> we decided against it, for now. But I remain optimistic that we
> shall do so in a future version (perhaps after making a POSH
> verification module available).

Sounds good. I do think we're making progress, although I'm frustrated
that it's as slow as it is.

>> but I suppose in fairness to us these are hard problems...
>
> Name another protocol as widespread as XMPP that has solved them so
> far...? :)

True.

> At least I think we're on the right track, but with things like
> this I think it takes baby-steps. We have come a long way, many
> clients and servers require encryption on c2s now which simply
> wasn't true a few years ago.

Yes, I am hoping / planning to do that at jabber.org before too much
more time goes by. But one thing at a time.

> PS. Anecdotal, but currently on my server:
>
> 40 "secure" incoming s2s connections (trusted+valid certificate) 37
> encrypted with invalid/self-signed certificates 10 not encrypted at
> all
>
> 3 of the unencrypted connections are from the personal servers of
> prominent members of the XMPP community (you [hopefully] know who
> you are). A further 2 are domains I'm responsible for (and a
> server upgrade is already scheduled to fix them), the remaining
> ones are gmail.com and Google-hosted domains.

Hmm, those prominent members of the XMPP community need to get their
act together. ;-)

In general, one thing that might help is a very clear HOWTO on
certificate provisioning, installation, and testing. That way, when
more domains start requiring secure s2s we'll have a friendly manual
at which we can point operators.

Also helpful might be an automated service (xmpp.net?) that would give
you a report about your domain's s2s security status, if you opt in of
course.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre