Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net> wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Mathieu Pasquet
><mathi...@mathieui.net>wrote:
>

>> Before signing the manifesto as a software developer, there are
>> a few things that are unclear and I’m not sure we can commit to
>> this just yet:
>>
>> Dropping SSLv2 is all good and I’m not even sure why SSLv2 was
>> supported initially (doesn’t xmpp appear after SSLv3 was
>standardized?),
>> but dropping SSLv3, while also a good idea, might cause issues with
>lots
>> of servers (not naming legacy ejabberd or openfire under old debian
>or
>> centos). Hopefully, we have some time to wake up some admins before
>the
>> dates set in the manifesto, but I hope the test days will help
>> troubleshooting the ones that don’t get the memo.
>>

>Well, I think you've answered your own question there. The manifesto
>sets
>out the aims, but I'm hoping that we're not so blinkered that we cannot
>adapt the rules as we go along. So if it turns out that - despite the
>IM
>Observatory's work so far - SSLv3 is essential for interop, and we
>cannot
>work with the affected sites to correct this, then we might revisit
>that.

I do want to note, though, that XMPP's STARTTLS is only defined to work with
TLS, not SSL. Said interoperability issues are basically the result of
non-compliancy in implementations, and if we are to drop interop with the
current Google Talk network (which doesn't even do non-dialup), I don't see why
this should be different.

--
ralphm