Richard,

I already replied to you request about a week ago, but unfortunately did not CC: you, as I thought you were on the list (as others are assuming as well). So, please see my answer below.

Regards

Kay

Richard Stallman wrote:
A week ago I asked whether the OpenOffice.org developers want to make
interoperability with free Java platforms a goal.  There has not
been a response.  Is this the right place to discuss the issue?
If not, then where?

Richard Stallman wrote:

> There is a major effort now to make OpenOffice.org 1.9 work with a free
> software Java platform including GCJ and GNU Classpath.  In the short
> term, this is simply a programming effort, which others are
> organizing.  But it is part of a long-term issue which is not simply
> a programming effort.

At the end, it is IMHO always a programming issue only  ;-) .

> The long-term issue is that of cooperation between the developers of
> OpenOffice.org and the free Java platform.  Do the OpenOffice.org
> developers want to make this interoperability a goal?

One of the goals for OpenOffice.org is interoperability based on standards - this explicitly includes Java specifications. As stated in our policies OpenOffice.org developers are urged to use official APIs only. But we depend on the party interested in a specific Java platform to provide the support code. Because vanilla OpenOffice.org builds for some platforms are using Sun's JDK/JRE we could overlook problems with other Java platforms. Developers working on OpenOffice.org ports ran into this problem earlier and we encourage all to raise those issues. We are confident that we will be able to smooth the troubles out.

Kay