Please see my comments below on how JPOX will treat dependent vs. element-dependent on collection fields. Please reply if you have objections!

Craig L Russell schrieb:
Hi Jörg,

On Nov 3, 2005, at 1:49 AM, Jörg von Frantzius wrote:

Hello,

the specification currently is somewhat confusing where it defines the meta-data attributes "dependent" and "element-dependent". Concerning "dependent" it says:

   "The dependent attribute indicates that the field contains a
   reference that is to be deleted

The reference is the object that is referenced by the field. I'll try to clarify this in the spec.

   from the datastore if the referring instance in which the field is
   declared is deleted, or if the
   referring field is nullified."

Now does that mean that really the *reference* is to be deleted (which seems kinda natural to me), or rather the object being referred to? Probably the latter?

Yes.

For collection fields, there is the additional "dependent-element" attribute of the "collection" tag. Wouldn't it be enough to have "dependent" on the field level?

We try to make the field metadata refer to behavior of the field itself, and put the behavior of multi-valued field types (array, collection, map) in separate metadata to better match the semantics of Collection versus Element.

We could make it illegal to specify dependent on field types of array, collection, and map...

Or what does it mean if the user specifies 'dependent="false"' with nested 'element-dependent="true"', or vice-versa?

See above.
JPOX will ignore any "dependent" attribute setting on Collection fields, so only the "element-dependent" attribute will be of meaning for Collection fields.

Experts, any opinion on this subject?

Craig

Thanks for any explanations,
Jörg

Dipl.-Inf. Jörg von Frantzius  |            artnology GmbH
                              |                Milastr. 4
Tel +49 (0)30 4435 099 26      |              10437 Berlin
Fax +49 (0)30 4435 099 99      |  http://www.artnology.com

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!