Hi all,

The high traffic in the JDO mailing lists in the last days might indicate that
some implementations may join JPOX soon as JDO 2 compatible. This might be a
good time to start a discussion on the day after JDO 2.0. In my opinion in
order to survive as live technology and not end up like ODMG 3.0 - JDO 3.0 must
extend JPA. I think that as an extension to JPA there is a good chance that JDO
will be able to be attractive again to Java developers, even more than it was
in the good days 2-3 years ago.

By visiting the forums in http://jdocentral.com these days or by comparing
"jdo" to "ejb3", "hibernate java", etc. in http://trends.google.com anyone can
see that an urgent action is required in order to save JDO. We do have some
very important assets: advanced technology, several good quality
implementations, happy users (not as much as we want but still something), the
Apache umbrella, the specification and the TCK, and of course Craig and all the
other wonderful people. Therefore, I believe that an action now can bring JDO
back to business.

Probably most JDO vendors (that have not done so yet) will implement JPA in the
future. But I am not talking on saving vendors but on saving JDO (even though
it could also help the vendors eventually). Sooner or later these vendors may
focus their products on JPA rather than on JDO that will remain behind. If,
however, JDO 3.0 will extend JPA in some way - we might be in a similar
position as Hibernate and Toplink that also support their old API in addition
to the new JPA API, with the advantage that our extensions are standard and
backed by multiple implementations including both relational databases and
object databases (plus some unique powerful features such as JDO 2.0 fetch
groups).

Maybe some JPA issues can be excluded. But in my opinion at least supporting
the new API (e.g. deprecating makePersistent and adding persist, or supporting
both as in java.util.Vector since JDK 1.2) is a must in order to survive. Maybe
some support should even be added in JDO 2.1. If this direction is accepted -
rethinking might also be required regarding the new support of Java 5.0 based
JDO annotations. I believe that even taking a decision in this direction and
publishing it - may change the momentum for JDO.

Any comments will be welcomed.

Regards,

Ilan Kirsh
ObjectDB Software