Hi Andy,

I'd like to know what you think JDO support for Calendar should be.

I believe that you cannot map a Calendar to a single column in the datastore because Calendar has a few features that you don't want to lose:

1. A Calendar instance represents a point in time for a particular time zone. If you store and retrieve the instance, it should match the point in time as well as the time zone. [This is preserved during serialization of a Calendar.]

2. A Calendar instance might be partially complete (not all components of the Calendar have been specified). If you store and retrieve the instance, it should be exactly as complete as when it was stored. [This is preserved during serialization of a Calendar.]

JPA allows you to use a date-time column to store a Calendar, which I think is wrong, because data is lost. There is no way to restore the Calendar as it was when persisted.

Do you really need to store a Calendar in a form other than serialized (which is already supported)? What would you put into the specification?

Regards,

Craig