On Aug 8, 2007, at 7:29 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

So if we introduce a flag that uses the same instance on attach, we might want to have the flag called CopyOnMakePersistent and have true be the current specified behavior and false be the new behavior we've been discussing.

Sounds great to me. There's some fine print here, though: Just because CopyOnMakePersistent is set to true, that doesn't mean that makePersistent() will *always* return copies. For example, current specified behavior says that when DetachAllOnCommit=false and calling makePersistent() with a transient parameter, the returned object will be the same instance, now transitioned to persistent-clean. This behavior won't change because of our new option (regardless of whether it is set to true or false), and we don't want folks to be confused about that...

So, maybe there's a better name out there, or the spec just needs to call out the subtleties carefully. At any rate, this really feels like the 'right track' to me.

Thanks,

- Chris

P.S.: When sending emails of this sort, should I always cc the jdo- [EMAIL PROTECTED] address, or is jdo-dev sufficient?